Lumiere Accent from Beauty and the Beast

Ask those questions you've been dying to have answered.
sevun

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi,
I have been cast as Lumiere (a candlestick) for my school musical Beauty and the Beast (it's my first time in a musical too, which is even more exciting!), but I'm having trouble nailing the French accent. I can do a proper French accent, but of course, Lumiere's is not like an authentic one.

I am trying to get the same accent as Ewan McGregor's in the 2017 film Beauty and the Beast, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9qh2WiFkwg

Can anyone tell me any particular aspects of his accent that they pick up? Certain vowel sounds? Patterns of speech?

Also, if anyone could give any acting tips for Lumiere, I would be so grateful.

Thanks! :D
akneely

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:41 pm

First of all, congratulations on the role; it's a great character (and show)!

Accents can be challenging, and they're especially daunting if you've never tried them before. On top of that, if it's your first musical, the last thing you want is for an accent to be draining your focus from all other aspects of your work!

So here's what I'd suggest. Rather than focus just on Ewan McGregor's accent, perhaps start with developing a strong French accent more broadly. There's plenty of quick YouTube videos on aspects of the accent you can focus on (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXQ0cFcbq4). From there, play around with it, practice during rehearsals and elsewhere, and continually refine it until you can do it without even thinking about it. From there, you can refine it until it resembles Ewan McGregor, or anyone really!

I'm sure other AP community members have varying insights and resources to suggest too! Good luck!
It's a wonderful life. 8-) :arrow: :mrgreen:
sevun

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:31 am

akneely wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:41 pm
First of all, congratulations on the role; it's a great character (and show)!

Accents can be challenging, and they're especially daunting if you've never tried them before. On top of that, if it's your first musical, the last thing you want is for an accent to be draining your focus from all other aspects of your work!

So here's what I'd suggest. Rather than focus just on Ewan McGregor's accent, perhaps start with developing a strong French accent more broadly. There's plenty of quick YouTube videos on aspects of the accent you can focus on (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwXQ0cFcbq4). From there, play around with it, practice during rehearsals and elsewhere, and continually refine it until you can do it without even thinking about it. From there, you can refine it until it resembles Ewan McGregor, or anyone really!

I'm sure other AP community members have varying insights and resources to suggest too! Good luck!

Thanks! As I said I do know how to do a French accent as I've learnt French for the past few years and my lovely French teacher is French so she's helped me a lot in developing the accent you use when normally speaking French.
The reason why I am asking for Ewan McGregor's is that even in interviews, he said that they wanted him to say his "r" sounds like rrr with the front of your mouth like a Mexican (saying the r sound with clenched teeth) rather than the traditional French r sound from the back of the throat. Nevertheless, thanks, again, for your help :)