Agent Concerns

Have something that's bugging you? Sometimes simply requesting advice doesn't cut it. Feel free to vent here.
jennad

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:28 pm

Hello! I don't know the protocol for double posting, so feel free to delete/remove. But...

I'm just getting started after recently getting out of school. I have representation, quality shots, a nice reel, and get good feedback in classes with casting folks. But I never get out for auditions through my legit rep (I'm in NY).

I keep hearing that this is normal for someone just starting out because I'll inevitably be starting my career with co-star roles, and lots of offices just cast co-stars with people they know. And then on top of that, I've also heard that it's rare for agencies to push clients for co-star roles. So is it normal for me to really never be going out for auditions? I don't like to think that my agent isn't doing much for me, and I'm appreciative of the work I hope they're doing for me. But I signed in November and I've gone out twice. They're a smaller agency, but they've been around for a long while.

Is this normal? I'm hoping I should just keep doing my thing and that this is standard, but when over 5 months go by and there's two auditions, I get scared...
Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes. :roll:
kieradelaney

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Yes, it can be slow at first. But two in five months seems strange. If a reputable agency was that quick to sign you out of school, then you clearly have talent. I certainly hope they're doing everything they can to get you work. If it stays like this throughout your initial contract, then maybe don't re-sign, and instead find someone who can help advocate for you, even if it's for co-star roles.
Just living the dream.