Covering Expenses

Have something that's bugging you? Sometimes simply requesting advice doesn't cut it. Feel free to vent here.
akneely

Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 pm

I don't need to remind you that it can be a struggle as an actor. But it's not the frequent rejection that gets me - I can handle all of that! It's just so expensive everywhere (at least with cities where most of the action happens), which, at times, makes me feel like I'm not being as proactive as I should be. I sometimes feel like there are classes I should be taking to improve, but don't because of the costs.

I've been living the freelance life, and it's been decent. It gives me some flexibility to do what I need to do as an actor, without being tied down to a set schedule. But with that comes really slow periods without jobs rolling through, and then I'm at a loss as to what I should be doing to pay the bills!

I'm not trying to complain - I love what I'm doing! But sometimes it's just tough, so I'm curious about what others do to make ends meet? Any tips and insights would be very appreciated!
It's a wonderful life. 8-) :arrow: :mrgreen:
blancoley

Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 am

I completely understand where you're coming from. I'm going through similar stuff, but right now I'm doing my best to organize a monthly budget, so that I can dedicate funds to specific purposes, without feeling like I'm overwhelmed. This way, I know that I can take however many classes each month (sometimes even just $20 dance classes), and still feel good about my expenses and artistic development. It's still not easy, but I've definitely gotten better at prioritizing needs vs. wants.

But I haven't stopped dreaming big! ;)
Voiceover Actor | NYC